Monday, May 17, 2010

The basics

i have found that stopping a "bad habit" typically is not hard, what is hard is beginning the action of quiting. Some circles discuss the action of quiting as a series of steps: precontemplation, contemplation, motivation, action, maintenance, relapse. If i had to classify my step, i would say that i am under motivation. I have had a series of introspective moments over the past month(s) that has strenghtned my belief that I have no business drinking, some of the main themes that come from my analysis include: 1) I am not capable of living a healthy, balanced life, 2) I have my first child on the way and I know my drinking will keep me numb from being in the experience, 3) both my father and uncle died from substance abuse...it's in our blood. There are probably a zillion other reasons why I should never drink again. The funny thing is despite the overwhelming facts against why I should not drink, there are only a few that keep me drinking. 1) Stress relief, 2) Lowers my anxiety in social situations, 3) keeps me from feeling bored. I do enjoy being high on alcohol, that is a fact. It is these reasons that I have continued to jump on and off the wagon since my late teens. I do want to stop, forever stop. I am seeking the aide of a professional, as well as embracing the sobriety tips I have learned over the years. Like Common said, it;s hard to stop drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment